[Olsr-dev] ETX mambo jambo

L. Aaron Kaplan (spam-protected)
Tue May 11 08:37:06 CEST 2010

Mitar,

I want to point you to the framework for metrics. The metric plugin-in system in OLSR.

We have been discussing improved metrics for a long time now  and there is even a plugin-in system to support other metrics. So if you feel like you have a good idea: go ahead :)

I want to point out one thing why ETX (or ETX-ff) is still used:
*) it does not assume anything from the lower layers.
Therefore we can run it in a driver independent fashion across all Wi-Fi cards.

So: yes , we know for a long time already that ETX is not the ideal metric and we wish for better ones (my personal wish is a metric which includes channel know-how (it tries to make the route go over non interfering channels) - something like MIC).

As Sven-Ola said: yes, go for it and help it get implemented. You can say many things that you don't like about OLSR. But at least is is very flexible code wise (*) - it gives us many opportunities to experiment.
This is especially true for the metric plugin-in system. That is why it is here :)

a.

(*) but lots of work

On May 10, 2010, at 10:24 PM, Mitar wrote:

> Hi!
>
> Probably a lot on this topic has already been written but ETX is
> really badly conceptualized and it really does not properly influence
> routing decisions.

(...)