[Olsr-dev] [Babel-users] Announcing MeshApp, A Mobile Application for Wireless Mesh Networking

Mitar (spam-protected)
Sat Jun 12 17:33:00 CEST 2010

Hi!

On Sat, Jun 12, 2010 at 2:14 PM, Juliusz Chroboczek
<(spam-protected)> wrote:
> [Followups restricted]

What this means? Do not know this folklore. You are warning that posts
to our news mailing list is restricted?

> Mind you, Babel doesn't have full topology information, just
> reachability data.  So being fully protocol-agnostic implies being able
> to reconstruct the missing data.

For protocols which do not have full topology information we have
limited ourselves to draw only that which is known by a given node on
which the app is running. This is often the information you would like
in the first place - how your neighborhood looks like and what are
link qualities to peering nodes. Full topology information is an
extra.

I thought of adding to future goals to maybe collect topology data
from other nodes as well in such cases, but I think that this should
be handled by a central server in the network and our app would
connect to it to retrieve topology data from it. (In this way it can
also retrieve additional data like geographical location of nodes for
protocols which do not publish this information over itself.)

The proposed way for this is to take a mesh' SSID as a base, append to
it /feeds/nodes and use this as a HTTP URL to retrieve GeoRSS (or
similar) feed with data of all nodes and topology. As you probably
control DNS this can open anything, even if your SSID does not
necessary represent a domain name.

Mitar