[Olsr-dev] olsr 0.5.6-r8 ipv6 multicast

John Hay (spam-protected)
Tue Feb 9 19:37:49 CET 2010

Hi,

I am trying out r8 (with FreeBSD and IPv6 as usual) and ran into a few
surprises. I see the default multicast address is now ff02::1 and not
ff0e::1 anymore. I think it is better, but it is going to be fun moving
our networks. :-)

I tried setting the multicast address with "IPv6Multicast ff0e::1", but
I did not get packets out of the interfaces. Looking into it, I see that
there is now two sockets for each interface, one to receive and one to
send on. I think the problem is that join_mcast() is only called for the
receive socket, so setsockopt IPV6_MULTICAST_IF is not set on the
transmit socket. An interesting thing is that ff02::1 work properly as
it is, probably because the kernel handle link-local multicast special.

So what should one do? I think join_mcast() is a bit heavy to use for
the transmit socket, maybe we should have another function that only
set IPV6_MULTICAST_IF?

Another question, is there a way to receive olsr commit messages via
email?

Thanks

John
--
John Hay -- (spam-protected) / (spam-protected)