[Olsr-dev] "Secure" Mesh networks

Sven-Ola Tuecke (spam-protected)
Tue Feb 9 19:34:36 CET 2010

John,

interesting plan. Sorry to be harsh - I taxed you as the average
encryption-does-it-all bloke. Those normally tend to think that their
knowlege about some crypto give them an advantage over others.

That baby-cam approach works. Yes - limited area only. We have seen that in
practise by a community member calling the RegTp (sort of FCC in Germany).
They have impressive equipment, but the rule says: shared medium, no need to
put up cooperative radios (such as all-wifi, sharing a channel). So they
solved by convincing (!forcing) the baby-cam owner. Obvioulsy a cooperative
approach too...

The iptables approach should work, because you already have a trusted
environment: you - and only you - can login to that routers probably with
ssh-pubkey. For a typical mesh meant to share some service this is sufficient
to keep out the bad boys.

For a mesh with a critical resource such as your emergency thing, you may want
more. Those military boys are also interested in that topic for their meshed
battlefield robotos I presume. Maybe it helps to google some patent databases
on that topic...

// Sven-Ola

Am Dienstag 09 Februar 2010 18:58:43 schrieb John Barrett:
[snipp]
> I plan on publishing both the firmware and the website that will support
> this system. If someone wants to use it to make a public network, then
> more power to them !! I'll even allow them to use my website to manage
> their certificates if they want !! I'm taking into account that not all
> amateur organizations may want to be part of the nation wide mesh that I
> would like to create. I wouldn't make much sense for a network in DE or
> UK to compete with each other or the US for a limited pool of IP
> addresses (16 million per mesh using the current addressing scheme), so
> the website is going to support creating multiple logical mesh clouds.
[snapp]