[Olsr-dev] "Secure" Mesh networks

Henning Rogge (spam-protected)
Tue Feb 9 09:24:26 CET 2010

On Tue February 9 2010 08:59:12 John Barrett wrote:
> I'm not looking to add any more encryption than necessary, but I am
> looking for something more secure than a shared key.  WPA already gives
> us that much, and most likely, if the WPA key is compromised, then the
> shared key will also be compromised (someone steals a router and reads
> out the data with a jtag cable for instance). What I'm looking at with
> certificates and TLS is providing a means of blocking out a single
> compromised node if needed (by updating the certificate revocation
> list), with just a little more overhead than the current secure plugin,
> and that overhead mostly at "startup" when 2 nodes become aware of each
> other.
Communication between two OLSR nodes are not point-2-point but "one-to-all"
flooding communication, so you cannot establish a routing signature by creating
a session key between each node pair (unless you want to put a signature for
EACH other node into a OLSR message).

Henning Rogge

--
Diplom-Informatiker Henning Rogge , Fraunhofer-Institut für
Kommunikation, Informationsverarbeitung und Ergonomie FKIE