[Olsr-dev] "Secure" Mesh networks

John Barrett (spam-protected)
Tue Feb 9 08:46:44 CET 2010

But WEP or WPA or whatever can work is in the hardware, doesn't cost us
any cpu time to use it. And I just checked, WPA-None/TKIP will work on
ad-hoc networks.

What I'm thinking of is a TLS style handshake, which can either be
piggybacked on the olsrd broadcasts, or handled through another port
with a tcp/ip hookup (the more I think about it, the more I like the
idea of putting it on a seperate port as TCP/IP) -- the TLS handshake
lets both sides verify the peer certificate against the CA, and then
provides a secure channel for the responder to pass a key value to the
initiator that will be used to validate all messages generated by the
responder over the normal olsrd broadcast channel. This eliminates the
shared key -- every node generates its own randomly at startup, and
insures that all peers of a given node know the key to validate traffic
generated by that node.

The only drawback is that there will be two TLS connections required --
one for A to get a key from B, and one for B to get a key from A, but
that only happens once during the initial hookup when 2 node become
aware of each other, everything after that can be handled with light
weight crypto (possible what the plugin uses now, but I have some other
ideas that I want to think out a little more).

There is another side effect, it will block out all asymmetric links.

OK to summarize:
1. WPA to secure the ether short of the shared key getting compromised
2. TLS handshake to verify the node certificate and exchange unique
verification keys before allowing a node to send ANY traffic.
3. signing of olsrd updates to insure that the data came from a verified
node (with perhaps a more robust signing mechanism than is in the
current code)

That should stop the vast majority of attacks...