[Olsr-dev] olsrd-0.6.1 deletes default route on MacOS X

Mitar (spam-protected)
Sat Dec 11 15:42:46 CET 2010

Hi!

On Sat, Dec 11, 2010 at 3:02 PM, Markus Kittenberger
<(spam-protected)> wrote:
> what is the benefit (except no chaos)

Isn't this enough? Predictability? Being user friendly? Being able to
easiliy diagnose the problem and suggest the solution?

If somebody announces some content on some local IP range and then
people have problems because it is colliding with their own IP range
(or IP range of somebody else)  they will just have a feeling that the
network does not work ("my friend on the other side of the city can
access it but I cannot"). And please, I am not talking about technical
people here who would understand routing and OLSR. I am talking about
somebody who just knows how to publish some content (let's say radio)
and others who know how to connect to WiFi and open an URL to tune in.

So on one hand we will have people who will be saying that they cannot
tune in (because they are routed to some other network which does not
have a radio server on that IP). And content people will say that it
works for them well when they are testing it. So you have two groups
of dissatisfied people: one which thought that they did everything OK
(and tested) and started broadcasting to discover hat things does not
work (so our network seems useless to them to distribute the content)
and other which wanted to tune in and discover that it does not work.
But for some it does. Explaining that there are conflicts and that
people misconfiguration something (and who did, who has more "right"
to announcing that private network into the mesh, who should stop
announcing it?) seems just as excuses. The network does not deliver.
This is all that matters.

This is why I would like to help both groups by simply preventing
conflicts. So if somebody announces something from some other IP range
in the network it should simply not work for anybody. Then would
already content provider find that something is wrong. And search/ask
for a solution.

Mitar