[Olsr-dev] Short netmask lenghts

Teco Boot (spam-protected)
Tue Aug 10 08:12:02 CEST 2010

False alarm.

Now I use fresh copy of stable, modified dyn_gw for accepting all
routes with metric other than RT_METRIC_DEFAULT. To be verified and
posted by Caspar.

I think this doesn't work for configs where hopcount is
written in kernel routing table as metric. Or RT_METRIC_DEFAULT
is not used.
Golden rule: OLSR stored routes may not be picked up by dyn_gw.

Op 10 aug 2010, om 07:56 heeft Henning Rogge het volgende geschreven:

> On Mon August 9 2010 18:55:46 Teco Boot wrote:
>> Hi Henning,
>>
>> I used also the /1 for a while.
>> Now I want to add /2. So I'll have 3 def.gw prio's (/0, /1 and /2).
>>
>> Linux has problems with multiple, independent same routes (0/0 to different
>> next_hops, maintained independently). Now I use different metrics:
>> metric=0    # DHCP from eth1
>> metric=1    # from ppp ip-up / ip-down scripts
>> metric=2    # from olsrd
> Is the routing metric not enough to create multiple 0/0 routes ?
The 0/0 routes have independent originators.
For example, pppd can replace the dhcp 0/0 route, but old route is not
restored when pppd dies.

>> We run daemon promoting the def.gw to /1 or /2, with some policies (satcom,
>> adsl or 3G, signal quality). The dyn_gw is adjusted for handling metrics 0
>> _and_ 1.
>>
>> But since this update, we experience problems with the functions in ipcalc.
>> I guess the limitation was there for a long time.
>> (I can't decode this piece of C myself, Caspar told me the functions don't
>> work for shorter than /8)
> Are you talking about the stable or the master branch ? The stable one should
> work, but I can look at it again.
We made a mistake somewhere.

This may be the last rework on dyn_gw.
Using smart gateways is the way to go, with multiple tunnels and routing policies.

Teco