[Olsr-dev] SmartGW: GW side

Henning Rogge (spam-protected)
Sun Apr 25 14:40:02 CEST 2010

Am Sonntag 25 April 2010 14:32:07 schrieb Alina Friedrichsen:
> Hi Sven-Ola!
>
> > curently trying and implementing the smartgw feat. for the Freifunk
> > Firmware. On the tunnel-client side, anything looks good. On the server
> > side, something is missing. I can see the pings from the client side,
> > but there's no route back through the ipip tunnel iface, so answering
> > packets are not routed back though the ipip tunnel to the
> > olsrd-smartgw-client. What's missing (see attached info files)?
>
> There is unfortunately no tunnel back to the client. I want it for some
> IPv6 stuff, too. But Henning don't like this idea. :(
I told you that I would like some technical reasons why we need the back
tunnel. We can do the routing towards the clients just fine without it. All we
need for IPv6 is setting a HNA and send a few HNAs to be sure that the back
route is established.

The disadvantage with the back tunnel is that we need to keep state on the
gateways, we need signaling to announce/drop the tunnel and other stuff. So
it's definitely more complicated.

I have yet to see the argument for the "both direction tunnel" which will
counterbalance the negative sides.

I don't say we will never have other kind of tunnels, but I don't think we
will have them in 0.6.0. The SmartGW system took months to get the rough bugs
out of it and I would prefer not to start with a different tunnel system
without a technical reason.

Henning Rogge
--
1) You can't win.