[Olsr-dev] [OLSR-dev] OLSR for Windows Mobile platforms by Moviquity

Henning Rogge (spam-protected)
Wed Jul 15 15:22:36 CEST 2009

Am Wed July 15 2009 15:06:31 schrieb sebastian sauer:
> in general it's not trival to find a suitable metric for a highly dynamic
> "loss network" like our mesh nets.
ETX is a very "primitive" sollution for this and there might be better
metrics, but it's easy to implement and depends only on layer 3.

> hop count and ETX has some nice properties like "monotonicity" (some papers
> call that "isotonicity" -- dunno why.)
Isotonicity is a little bit different I think.

Isotonicity means that if a path between two nodes A,B is the shortest path by
a certain routing metric, any shortest path between nodes on the patch A,B
will lay on the path between A and B. This is a very important assumption for
hop-by-hop routing.

> in practice things are even thougher -- none of the bigger OLSR mesh
> setups work without ETX cheating. Hence on guarantee that the metric of
> any randomly chosen path is really monotonic -- in a real life setup.
What do you mean with ETX "cheating" ?

> yep, hop count is an idiotic choice for a dynamic "loss network". because
> the bandwidth of the "edges" / links is not stable over time.
Let's say it was a decission done in a time where noone had experience with
large scale networks outside the simulator.

Henning Rogge

Diplom-Informatiker Henning Rogge
Forschungsgesellschaft für
Angewandte Naturwissenschaften e. V. (FGAN)
Neuenahrer Str. 20, 53343 Wachtberg, Germany
Tel.: 0049 (0)228 9435-961
Fax: 0049 (0)228 9435-685
E-Mail: (spam-protected)
Web: www.fgan.de
Sitz der Gesellschaft: Bonn
Registergericht: Amtsgericht Bonn VR 2530
Vorstand: Prof. Dr. M. Tacke (komm. Vors.), Prof. Dr. J. Ender (Stellv.)