[Olsr-dev] Some reflections on link state routing and metrics

Markus Kittenberger (spam-protected)
Tue Feb 10 17:14:46 CET 2009

On Tue, Feb 10, 2009 at 4:23 PM, Henning Rogge <(spam-protected)> wrote:

> > but unicast loss behaves for sure not linear to broadcast_loss or
> > netto_bandwidth!!
> > of course having the number of failed retransmission would be the best,
> and
> > i think this values is available from maclayer,..
> > this would imho be the only perfect solution, ...
>
> Just divide the througput from the ratecontrol algorithm by the unicast
> transmission rate. If you get 1.0 there is no unicast retransmissions, if
> you
> have 0.5 you have one retransmission for each packet. This could be a
> measurement for delay (because waiting times for retransmissions).

is it really that easy?
what is the influence of noise on netto-rate?

> > there will always be interfaces where you will not be able to detect
> it,..
> > but one way out of this dilemma is just to detect unicast loss with test
> > packets, at least when we can`t detect it from maclayer
> See above. No need to guess this parameter.

im not sure,
cause if we don`t want to measure, where we can`t get it from maclayer, we
may wanna guess it,.. *g

> The only interesting additional
> value might be the total number of failed transmissions (failed for layer
> 3,

ACK this value is interesting if we can get it,
but if we wanna use it (i WANT *g), we may need substitute whre we can`t get
it from maclayer,..
Markus