[Olsr-dev] olsrd etx + plugin

Erik Tromp (spam-protected)
Tue Apr 21 16:00:57 CEST 2009

Thanks Henning for you quick answer.

Just a few more stupid questions (resulting from my ignorance ;-)

1. I see all source/header files of a plugin start with lq_plugin_default...
and are located in /src . If I write an LQ-plugin, would you suggest putting
the source files under /src and naming them e.g. lq_plugin_default_ett.c/h ?
Maybe it is an idea to create a special sub-directory for LQ-plugin files,
since the LQ-handling is (in my opinion) a crucial part of a good MANET
protocol.

2. Why does every function start with the word 'default'? Is it because all
three currently provided LQ-plugins implement the old 'default' metric, the
ETX metric? In that case, can I assume that a new plugin would not be called
'default' any more? Would it be an idea to rename all current LQ-plugin
source/header files starting with 'lq_plugin_default...' to
'lq_plugin_etx...' so that it is clear which algorithm is implemented?

3. What do the abbreviations 'fpm', and 'ff' stand for? In the debug output
I read "Using 'etx_fpm' algorithm for lq calculation." What is the reason
for choosing the 'etx_fpm' algorithm as the default of the three currently
provided plugins?

4. Apparantly each LQ-plugin may define its own layout of TCs/Hellos. Is
there any limitation to this freedom? I can see for example that all of the
currently provided default_lq_serialize_.... functions use 4 bytes (of which
2 unused). Could another plugin use, say, 16 bytes? Or 256 bytes?

5. Is there interworking between varius LQ-plugins? If not, I assume that it
is up to the MANET administrator to provide every node in the MANET with the
same (compatible) LQ-plugin. Is there any way that the LQ plugin system can
detect that other nodes are running non-compatible LQ-plugins?

Thanks in advance for your effort.

Best regards,
Erik