[Olsr-dev] IPv6 Unique Local Addresses

Alina Friedrichsen (spam-protected)
Thu Nov 27 22:28:12 CET 2008

Hi Bernd!

> As I'm the a IPv6 not-even-newbie, I have no opinion apart from

The unique local addresses are the replacement for the site-local addresses with are deprecated now. The main feature of the unique local addresses is to try to make it unique in the world, so you can first build a local network with it, but in the future you may want to merge multiple subnets in a VPN or so. With this addresses you can do this without renumbering the IP addresses of the devices in the local subnets, because even the local addresses are unique. (not like 192.168.1.0/24) I think this is maybe a nice feature for mesh networks like Freifunk.

I and some other people plan to use the ULA-Prefix fdca:ffee:feed::/48 for a IPv6 "Freifunk" network:
http://www.sixxs.net/tools/grh/ula/list/
http://www.sixxs.net/tools/grh/ula/

> "it compiles. Why not?".

Would nice.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Unique_local_address
http://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/IPv6#Unique-Local-Adressen

I thinks the best way is to create first a 6in4 tunnel to the IPv6 Internet. It makes much more fun to play with it, if you are in the public IPv6 Internet.

Regards
Alina

--
Sensationsangebot nur bis 30.11: GMX FreeDSL - Telefonanschluss + DSL
für nur 16,37 Euro/mtl.!* http://dsl.gmx.de/?ac=OM.AD.PD003K11308T4569a