[Olsr-dev] OLSRd 0.5.4 and 0.5.5 with ETT available

Erik Tromp (spam-protected)
Thu Nov 13 15:39:43 CET 2008

I think that there are two principle ways of measuring the "quality" of a
link:

1.) Passively, by monitoring the "quality" of the incoming packets.

2.) Actively, by sending specially formed probe packets and monitoring the
"quality" of the probe packets.

Advantages of 1.):
+ No extra air time

Disadvantages of 2.):
- links that carry hardly any traffic are difficult to measure (as Daniel
points out "you may never discover a better alternative route due to lack of
measurements on it")
- Tapping all traffic into user space for analysis by a user-space process
causes a high CPU load
- Alternatively, if tapping is not used, there is a dependcy on non-standard
interfaces to retrieve metrics such as Layer-1 or -2 metrics (radio signal
strength, number of retransmissions at the MAC layer, etc.) Besides, it is
difficult to determine the "quality" based on only these metrics.

Advantages of 2.):
+ Permanent monitoring of quality is possible, even in low-traffic
circumstances.
+ Low CPU load because only the probe packets are processed (socket selects
in kernel space)
+ No dependency on non-standard interfaces

Disadvantages of 2.):
- Requires extra air time

Additional issue: what is "quality"? There are various possibilities here:
- 'specified' link speed (bit/sec) e.g. 1, 2, 5.5, 11, 54, 300 Mbit/sec
- effective throughput (bit/sec) (my personal favourite :-)
- latency, jitter, air time (sec)
Or maybe even things like:
- used energy (joule)
- power (watt)