[Olsr-dev] OLSRd 0.5.4 and 0.5.5 with ETT available

Henning Rogge (spam-protected)
Thu Nov 13 14:09:47 CET 2008

Am Thursday 13 November 2008 13:48:41 schrieb Daniel Nitzpon:
> hmmm..  i don't have an easy solution here...
>
> but i wonder how you intend to deal with the underlying issues in other
> algorithms:
>
> * the "collision avoidance" issue also has a "reality factor" built-in:
> if you only consider the speed of a link during times on which airtime
> for this link is available, you will end up extremely over-rating links
> on which generally little airtime is available.
Yes, but assume your pair of packets... a short package and a long one... now
the short one will get sometimes a HIGHER delay, just because it had a longer
collision avoidance.

How do you want to calculate the bandwith if the "jitter" of both packages is
much longer than the time difference because of the length of the package ?

> * if you circumvent the "unicast traffic" issue, by only measuring
> existing unicast traffic you may never discover a better alternative
> route due to lack of measurements on it. as lots of real-world scenarios
> have little peer-to-peer-traffic (almost all unicast goes to the next
> internet-gateway and back), it may be a real problem, not just an
> academic one.
Yes, that is a problem. Okay, theoretically we could send probe packets every
few seconds, but we would like to use LESS airtime, not more.

> in how far do you consider these issues "issues"? any solutions in sight?
Yes, we are thinking about metrics on other layer 2 data. But first we have to
get a framework to get things like bandwith, signalstrength,... on (at least)
linux, windows and BDS.

Diplom Informatiker Henning Rogge
Forschungsgesellschaft für
Angewandte Naturwissenschaften e. V. (FGAN)
Neuenahrer Str. 20, 53343 Wachtberg, Germany
Tel.: 0049 (0)228 9435-961
Fax: 0049 (0)228 9435-685
E-Mail: (spam-protected)
Web: www.fgan.de
Sitz der Gesellschaft: Bonn
Registergericht: Amtsgericht Bonn VR 2530
Vorstand: Dr. rer. nat. Ralf Dornhaus (Vors.), Prof. Dr. Joachim Ender
(Stellv.)