[Olsr-dev] OLSR and ns2 (or other sim)

Chris Davies (spam-protected)
Tue May 6 16:18:25 CEST 2008

Aaron,

If cross-layer optimizations are ignored (which ns2 wouldn't be really
great at anyway), it would seem that proactive routing protocols such
as OLSR need to do three things:

1. send/receive control packets
2. update routes
3. determine the current time (to figure out when to send packets)

It shouldn't be too hard (having not done it of course :) ) to write
an ns2 protocol that provides these hooks. Then olsr (or any other
protocol) could connect using these hooks. It would require an extra
abstraction layer on the protocol in order to be able to recompile
olsr to use the ns2 hooks instead of the standard network stack/os.

Any sense of if this would work? or am I missing something?

It would seem to be a good thing to be able to sim olsr easily during
the development process in order to stress test it and more easily
track down bugs.

Chris