[Olsr-dev] ;-) sensor nodes + olsr

Aaron Kaplan (spam-protected)
Mon May 5 21:13:13 CEST 2008

On May 5, 2008, at 8:38 PM, Jens Nachtigall wrote:

>> How to turn OLSR into a simple sensor node the fast way:
>>
>> http://www.olsr.org/?q=node/24
>
> HarHarHar ;-)
>
> Seriously, does olsrd run on something like a sensor node, i.e. one
> level
> below the usual wifi routers like the wrt54g and their like? I mean
> those
> typically have only a few KB RAM and flash and run something like
> TinyOS:
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sensor_node#List_of_Sensor_Nodes

Well with that volume of sales, the iPhone might just count as a
cheap sensor node with a massive CPU ;-)

But to answer your question: no, the code size is ~ 170 KB, we need
some more RAM and I think nobody has ported it over to TinyOS yet.
But VxWorks was done and we got the patches already (against 0.5.5) -
so that might turn out to be a very nice feature. Lots of the serious
embedded world runs on VxWorks.

I have been running olsrd on a gumstix board. Also quite small and
neat. Works like a charm.

a.