[Olsr-dev] Node hand-off and attach speed

Juliusz Chroboczek (spam-protected)
Sat Mar 29 23:55:15 CET 2008

> 1) In an OLSR network in which 1 (or more) node is highly mobile, when that
> node moves away from it's original location and connects to another node,
> what happens with any of the currenly open connections?  Do they get
> transfered gracefully and stay connected, or are they disconnected?

You're confused.  OLSR works at the network layer, below the transport
layer, where TCP lives.  TCP will never notice that the network
topology changed, except that the RTT has changed.

You really should read up on networking technology.

> 2) Do we know the average connection or transfer time when you have nodes
> moving from one to another?  To give context, lets say you have a number of
> nodes that are in fixed locations with mobile nodes (think vehicles)
> moving.  Based on node speed and range, the mobile nodes could move too fast
> to connect.

This depends on a bunch of parameters, notably the hello interval,
whether you use link quality, and if not, how you tune your link
hysteresis.

> If anyone has any insight into this I would really appreciate it.

There's a few dozen theses and a few hundred papers that have been
written on the subject.

A routing protocol makes a number of tradeoffs between a number of
different, conflicting goals.  The tradeoffs are different in my
situation (a mostly static, but sparse, network with a lot of marginal
links) and yours (a highly mobile, and hopefully dense network).  If
you want to choose the right protocol for your situation, and tune it
adequately, you will need to understand what you are doing.  There's
no way people who don't know what your network is like are going to do
your work for you.

                                        Juliusz