[Olsr-dev] Software productivity // advertisement supported software. ---- which list should I go to

Erach (spam-protected)
Mon Jul 28 16:42:37 CEST 2008

Thanks for replying to my message.
I graduated with a PhD in Artificial Intelligence in 1993 ----- and
gave up hope that the computer would ever be "intelligent".
But what if we settle for "increases in software productivity to match
hardware speeds instead".

I mean ---- I can come up with a sound, competitive business idea in 2
minutes.  But then it takes huge teams of programmers, either in
open-source, or commercial to convert it into practise.

Now, the ONLY PIECE OF SOFTWARE I KNOW OF WITHOUT BUGS IN IT is TeX
(the typesetter by Donald Knuth).  I wonder, if we write programs that
computers should understand -------- so that computers can understand
the incorrectness of our specifications, or so that humans can
communicate in computer specifications, and improve them --------- is
it too much to say that will be more easier than fixing code of C++ or
other languages.
(The computer languages I know in reverse order are C++, Prolog, SAP's
ABAP, MRL, FRL, Assembler 6800 and 68000, COBOL in school, Perl, LISP,
Ada, C, perhaps rudimentary Visual Basic, some Excel programming, yes
Machine Language programming).

Now, we are discussing code ---- but the computer hardware is
operating at 2.5 GHZ or so in QUAD FOUR CPU's ---- and in 2 years time
or 5 years time, it will be probably still at 2.5 GHz or is it 1.8 GHz
in HEXA SIXTEEN CPU's.

So the only bug-free program I've heard of is TEX --------- by Donald
Knuth written in WEB (yes, that was the name of the language).

Now, can we communicate in specifications -------- or how do we
improve programmer productivity.
I mean -------- suppose I have a team of 2 fresher programmers for 2
years --------- can I get a mini-point-of-sale program and a mini
financial accounting package. ---- somebody would say yes ------ but
think hard, for a small business we need a mini-ERP program like SAP,
a point of sale program, and a financial accounting program ---------
and these are customized differently all over the world.

Now, SAP, has a prolog like thing or a rule-like thing for writing
pricing rules, then it has NO GOTOs, then it has an object oriented
language (brought on by industry pressure which I never managed to
learn), then it has a way to document its functions (in German/but
SAP-USA does in English I guess), then it has GUIs
---------
have you heard of an integrated open source package having this. -----
LINUX and the open-source revolution (also see sourceforge) has
several open source programs -------- sourceforge has many abandoned.
How does one boost software productivity using LINUX code.

Remember, the computer can never perceive --- but if we program in a
functional language (10 times slower than LISP which is 10 times
slower than C) and the computer is operating at 1.3 GHz in a HEX 16
CPU five years later, does it matter.

I read that Microsoft is having a competition of SAT (SAT is
NP-complete or NP-hard I think) on multi-core CPUs.

When I programmed in SAP / ABAP/4 we could do only 100 lines of code
in a month ---- we had to study the code so much.
So can we have COMPUTER-UNDERSTANDABLE SPECIFICATIONS to program in
---------- so don't program for getting the job done, program for
getting the computer to get the job done (a higher level compiler,
again).

*********
Now, you have wikipedia, dbpedia.org (a semantic web of wikipedia and
other data-sets),