[Olsr-dev] bmf plugin problem

Erik Tromp (spam-protected)
Tue Jul 22 17:11:39 CEST 2008

> I made some multicast tests and experienced strange behavior.
> When I ping to 224.0.0.1 I see the ICMP packets in interface
> mbf0 (and the encapsulated ones in interface eth0).
>
> But when I send UDP traffic to 224.0.0.1 with netcat or iperf
> I see the UDP packets are routed through interface eth0
> (although the routing table clearly shows bmf0 as outgoing
> interface). Then I also tried a simple UDP client program
> (same sample code found in the Internet) which was routed
> correctly via interface bmf0.
>
> Do you have any ideas about this strange behavior?

I'm not sure but I would think netcat or iperf do not look
at the routing table.

Looking at the help text (iperf --help) there is a -B option.
That option will accept an IP address, then iperf will start
operating on the network interface with that IP address.

By default, the bmf0 interface is assigned the IP address of
the first OLSR interface (see README_BMF.txt). You can specify
the IP address that should be assigned to the bmf0 interface
via the plugin parameter PlParam "BmfInterfaceIp" , e.g.:

LoadPlugin "olsrd_bmf.so.1.6"
{
  PlParam "BmfInterfaceIp" "10.10.10.234/24"
}

You would then force iperf to use bmf0 by issueing 'iperf -B 10.10.10.234'

Please let me know if that works :)

Regards,
Erik