[Olsr-dev] Question about link quality values

sebastian sauer (spam-protected)
Wed Jan 23 14:00:06 CET 2008

Hi,

Wed 23 Jan 2008 09:17, Henning Rogge wrote:
> The link quality values in Hello/TC packets are supposed to be between
> 0 and 1, right ?
ACK, this is not only "supposed" to be, but already per definitionem.
link quality == good packets / ( good packets + lost packets )

in the anglo-american language domain this concept is known as "bernoulli
trial"

in the german lang. domain the word "quality" in this context is rather "güte"
(in the technical sense of the word) than "qualität". and the concept is quite
commonly known as:

"anzahl der günstigen fälle dividiert durch die anzahl aller möglichen fälle"

http://www.google.com/search?aq=f&complete=1&hl=en&q=anzahl+%22m%C3%B6gliche+f%C3%A4lle%22+%22g%C3%BCnstige+f%C3%A4lle%22&btnG=Search

> I know they could be larger with a loss_link_multiplier
> greater than 1, but this should be the only special case I think.
as stated a while ago, the current olsrd linkquality concept is
voodoo magic, but not sound theory ;)

cheers,
s.