[Olsr-dev] olsrd 0.5.5 released !

Holger Levsen (spam-protected)
Sat Feb 9 10:37:08 CET 2008

Hi,

harmless stuff first: while packaging 0.5.5 I looked at the README and saw it
still claims it's 0.5.4 :)

Then, I decided to look at debian/copyright and update it to reflect 2008 and
then I made "the mistake" to look more closely and then I worked a few hours
on it.... it's attached, in case you want to rework licence.txt based on
that :-)

There are hardly any mentions of 2007 and none of 2008, but I consider this to
be a minor issue, compared to the other issue I found:

As I understand it - which might definitly be wrong (!!!), you include and
link to GPL licenced code, so the only legal way to distribute olsrd is under
the GPL, not under a BSD licence!(!!!)
http://www.gnu.org/licenses/info/BSD_3Clause.html claims the 3-clause BSD
licence is GPL compatible, if the BSD licenced code is distribted under the
GPL: http://www.fsf.org/licensing/licenses/compat.html

See for yourself (and please correct me if I'm wrong)

src/cfgparser/oparse.c and src/cfgparser/oparse.h are GPL-2+ licenced (and
copyrighted by the FSF)

lib/quagga/src/quagga.h lib/quagga/src/olsrd_plugin.c lib/quagga.c are GPL-2+
licenced too, as is lib/quagga/src/quagga/zebra.h.

AFAIK you cannot do this (using the above GPL licenced files in your BSD
licenced application) and I wonder what you can do to resolve this situation.
I believe you have three options (if you want to distribute olsrd unter the
BSD licence): relicencing the work (needs all contributors to agree to this)
or getting rid of the code and rewriting it. Or tell the world that olsrd is
GPL licenced ;-)

gui/linux-gtk/* is also GPL licenced, but AFAIK this is a no issue, as it's a
seperate application, which just happens to be distributed in the same
tarball.

regards,
	Holger (IANAL and I might have read the code wrongly)

<h01ger> do i understand http://www.gnu.org/licenses/info/BSD_3Clause.html and
http://www.fsf.org/licensing/licenses/compat.html correctly, that if a bsd
licenced programm contains gpl licenced code, the only way to legally
distribute it, is to distribute the whole thing under the gpl?? can i really
just take bsd code and put a gpl sticker on it?
* h01ger gets more coffee. fun fun fun for a saturday morning :)
<#debian-devel-contributor1> h01ger: most restrictive conditions win, so
yes ...
<#debian-devel-contributor2> h01ger: yes, but then changes can't got back
upstream
<#debian-devel-contributor1> but the BSD code is still BSD if someone splits
it off again, and you've kept it marked as such
<h01ger> upstream mixed the code...
<#debian-devel-contributor3> h01ger: ys. the entire thing is gpl for
distribution. but nothing stops you from taking the BSD code and using it
under BSD
<#debian-devel-contributor3> but the mixed distribution is effectively GPL
<h01ger> but in debian/copyright i just note the individual files licences and
be done? (and notify upstream that their code is not distributable under
bsd :)
<#debian-devel-contributor2> yes.
* h01ger is happy he can upload now
<h01ger> yay
<#debian-devel-contributor2> seems reasonable