[Olsr-dev] Comments regarding the talk of Thomas Clausen at metalab

Markus Kittenberger (spam-protected)
Wed Aug 20 13:23:29 CEST 2008

just for your information,..

since december harald and me, are developing olsr repeater like things,..

it startet with an failed approach of mine to just bridge an wireless adhoc
network with an ethernet,..

in jannuary i had an kernel patch (ipt_TEE), repeating all olsr traffic, and
a patch to the txtinfo (on the main router) plugin to feed the olsr repeater
with routes,..

it was only a proof of concept (using shell sripts on the repeater), but it
worked,..(and showed that it needs some more coding to make it efficient and
stable)

than the project staled a while till harald found the reason for the
bridging problems,.. than we created an working adhoc bridge,..

(in fact just a plain bridge of an adhoc network with an ethernet port, but
using mac and arp nating on the bridge, to get around the limitations of
adhoc mode (only 1 MAC))

since about one month we test them on some foneras (in our olsr mesh in
vienna),.. the performance is now good, and it will work with any routing
dameon/whatever,.. (just the foneras itself are a bit instable, but this
already seems to be better with never kamkaze versions,..)

similar approach will also work on routers with an 2.4 kernel, but needs a
kernel patch, while in kernel 2.6 its jsut a configuration option, but
anyhow it will need a special kernel, resulting in a special firmware
image,..

the bridging solution is more generic, making it suitable for many usages,
but will not provide the olsrd daemon with information of the physical layer
as an olsr repeater might do,.. (but this could be added)

So anyhow, maybe what you want is already available (-;

Markus