[Olsr-dev] Comments regarding the talk of Thomas Clausen at metalab

Henning Rogge (spam-protected)
Mon Aug 18 15:50:38 CEST 2008

Am Montag 18 August 2008 14:56:36 schrieb Harald Geyer:
> > First we plan to implement a MPR selection algorithm that takes
> > the LQ values of the link into account to find a set of MPRs
> > with good links.
>
> Ok. For this to work you will most likely need to drop nodes which
> shouldn't be MPR from the neighbor set if you want to be RFC
> compliant. That shouldn't cause any problems, but it would be nice
> if the information about the full neighbor set was kept around
> somehow - we use this a lot for link planning (As we use the
> information from topology flooding for our map.)
Of course the MPR selection must still be "large enough" to be RFC sufficient.
I discussed the idea with Thomas Clausen in Vienna and he said he doesn't see
a reason why it should not be RFC compatible.

> > Second we are thinking about writing some kind of "remote repeater"
> > version of the olsrd for connecting multiple routers (connected
> > with ethernet) into a virtual "one node, multiple radio" router.
> > This way olsr would not need MPRs to connect over ethernet because
> > the switched connections would be "invisible".
>
> Yes, that would be extremely useful. Depending on how far you want
> to go it might be difficult to implement for a link state protocol
> though ...
My idea was just to have to "dump" nodes that give the "master" olsr to
communicate over interfaces not connected to his own machine. Maybe just a
tunnel protocoll or something like this.

> May I ask where such discussions are taking place?
The idea was developed in some chats in Vienna (okay, "developed" is a little
bit much). I did not thought much about the physical structure of
Freifunk/Funkfeuer before...

Diplom Informatiker Henning Rogge
Forschungsgesellschaft für
Angewandte Naturwissenschaften e. V. (FGAN)
Neuenahrer Str. 20, 53343 Wachtberg, Germany
Tel.: 0049 (0)228 9435-961
Fax: 0049 (0)228 9435-685
E-Mail: (spam-protected)
Web: www.fgan.de
Sitz der Gesellschaft: Bonn
Registergericht: Amtsgericht Bonn VR 2530
Vorstand: Dr. rer. nat. Ralf Dornhaus (Vors.), Prof. Dr. Joachim Ender
(Stellv.)