[Olsr-dev] OLSR IPs for node with multiple interfaces

Axel Neumann (spam-protected)
Wed Apr 30 15:55:16 CEST 2008

On Mittwoch 30 April 2008, Bernd Petrovitsch wrote:
> On Mit, 2008-04-30 at 14:11 +0200, Henning Rogge wrote:
> > Am Mittwoch 30 April 2008 13:36:45 schrieben Sie:
>
> [...]
>
> Are you sure? I can't remember such a thing (or anything in that
> direction).

I guess my information is mostly based on gossip. Thats why I am trying to
clarify now. There was at least a reply to a similar question on this mailing
list last year:
http://lists.olsr.org/pipermail/olsr-dev/2007-September/001280.html

I understood the response as: better dont do it!

> In the cable world, both interfaces may be in the same broadcast domain
> (e.g. connected to the same switch, no VLANs or similar).
> Thus the above should work with any (reasonable) OS/device/IP-Stack.
>
> > The kernel has a packet which has to be transfered to a node called
> > 10.0.0.3. How should the kernel determine what interface is to use ?
>
> The kernel can use either one as there are routes etc.
>
> What am I missing in this thread (apart from the fact that I ignored the
> WLAN part and aspects. But from a pure layer 3 point of view, it should
> work)?

This is the point. In a Wireless world, the kernel can not use either one
because only one of the two wireless ad-hoc interfaces may have a proper
working link.

I think SO_BINDTODEVICE can be used to identify whether an olsr-hello message
broadcasted to 10.255.255.255 has been received via the one or the other
wireless interface. And considering this information, the daemon may
configure a host route pointing to the correct neighbor *via* the correct
interface.

/axel