[Olsr-dev] olsrd-0.5.3-rc1 feedback

Hannes Gredler (spam-protected)
Fri Oct 5 23:05:18 CEST 2007

On Fri, Oct 05, 2007 at 11:23:06AM +0200, Bernd Petrovitsch wrote:
| On Fre, 2007-10-05 at 11:01 +0200, Sven-Ola Tuecke wrote:
| [...]
| > changing that olsrd-hops-to-kernel-metrics in the routing code works well
| > for me. The linux kernel automatically completes with the correct metric
| > value if this value is ommited while removing a route. Checked with "ip
| > monitor". Yes I understand the "doing fake metrics saves a lot of
| > route-add/route-del" thing as well. If we add a config parameter, it may
| > make sense to have it three-fold, e.g
| >
| > 0 = use dummy metric=1 for hostroutes, metric=2 for via routes
| > 1 = use real metric but do not constantly update kernel routes (== my patch)
| > 2 = use real metric and update kernel routes to reflect olsrd calculations

just my two cents:

ad 0: why do hostroutes require metric 1 and via routes metric 2 ?

      --> the queuing logic in process_routes.c takes care that
          hostroutes are installed first and removed last

          IMO there is no need for different metrics.

ad 1: this is really ugly (having inaccurate troubleshooting information
      is worse than having no troubleshooting information).

ad 2: makes sense from a troubleshooting point of view

/hannes