[Olsr-dev] olsrd-0.5.3-rc1 feedback

Sven-Ola Tuecke (spam-protected)
Mon Oct 1 09:46:12 CEST 2007

Hello Aaron, Bernd, Hannes et. al,

I'm also overdue giving feedback - sometimes too busy. But I am
always reading your posts. Here are some points from my side.

* I've (re-)added my special stuff to the current CVS. Which
  shrinks my list of patches to a very small set now.  None of
  that patches are meant for the current release. As ususal:
  http://download-master.berlin.freifunk.net/sven-ola/nylon/packages/olsrd/files/

* As discussed, I re-add the metric value on the routes.
  From my perspective it's simply convenient, because I can
  look on the routing output and estimate at a glance if a
  particular route is long or short. It's not really important,
  if that's only an estimation IMO. Reason to re-add metric with
  131-olsrd-policy-metric.patch for the Freifunk olsrd.

* Done some testing on olsrd-current and found nothing to
  complain about. CPU saving is fine (~10-30% on my
  slowest device, a 125 Mhz Broadcom/MIPS box). Really good.

* Got a one-time oops while terminating olsrd via Ctrl-C. But I
  was not able to repeat that.

* My overall perception: I vote for publishing that as olsrd-0.5.4.

To answer Aarons question about tunneling and NAT. You vienna guys are very
special in this IMO. The majority of OLSR/Freifunk meshes uses NAT gateways
via default routes. Tunneling gateways or globally-valid-IP meshes are not
too wide spread. Partly my fault, because that's the standard plug-and-pray
technique offered with the Freifunk Firmware <ggg>.

One word about fiddeling with RFCs and doing other paperwork. There was an
attempt to re-invent olsrd in france (paris, last year or so). Laurent of
paris-sans-fil wrote about attending the circus. AFAIK that group posted
their paper-ware on different media (just google for olsr-v2).

// Sven-Ola