[olsr-dev] Make ETX metric hop-count insensitive

Acinonyx (spam-protected)
Thu Mar 29 01:09:14 CEST 2007

Hello,

ETX algorithm has been proven highly hop-count-dependent especially in
highly meshed networks. An extreme example is 3 routers connected in
full mesh - A-B-C-A. In this case, A has two alternative routes to C -
directly to it and through B - but the latter will only be used when the
ETX between A-C reach at least a number of 2.0. This is pretty heavy
packet loss for olsrd to start reacting!

So i decided to try to experiment with olsrd in order to achieve a
hop-count free metric. The idea I have is to create a new metric, based
on link quality statistics, where the calculation of a path will produce
a path metric ranging from 0.0 to infinity. This I believe could be
implemented qutie easily on olsrd by simply subtracting 1.0 from the
original ETX.

Vassilis T.