[Olsr-dev] Seeking comments: OLSR+ETX v/s DSR+ETX

Jens Nachtigall (spam-protected)
Sat Dec 22 11:30:10 CET 2007

> What's about this ? It's not as "fast" as the old formula, but I think it
> works:
>
> lq = (total - lost) * / (  (total + olsr_cnf->lq_wsize) / 2 );
>
> (just using the average of the maximum lq window size and the active one)
>
> This way fresh links can be used immediately, but get "bad" lq values
> until olsrd receives enough hellos.

not related to the startup, but afterwards:
What is still missing imho is a weighted, maybe even exponentially weighted
average (see formula at
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Weighted_moving_average#Weighted_moving_average
and below). Pakets just immediately lost should be paid more attention than
towards packets that were lost one or two minutes ago. For instance, in the
FreifunkFirmware HelloInterval is set to 5 seconds and LinkQualityWinSize is
set to 100 samples -- hence the time window is 500sec, that is more than 8
minutes. Still, to the formula it does not make a difference if the packet is
lost 8 minutes ago or just few secs.

regards,
Jens