[Olsr-dev] Seeking comments: OLSR+ETX v/s DSR+ETX

Aaron Kaplan (spam-protected)
Thu Dec 20 04:51:27 CET 2007

On Dec 19, 2007, at 12:15 PM, Sven-Ola Tuecke wrote:

> Hi Sebastian,
>
> don't know, what parts of the current olsrd implementation you
> denote with
> the term "voodoo". Link quality is a number between 0.0 and 1.0 and it
> reflecs how many packages are lost between sender and receiver. How
> LQ is
> evaluated/measured may #include <voodoo.h> (especially the 128er
> bit mask
> array) but nothing that really deserves that term IMO.
>
> The rest is a formula, commonly known as ETX. Which is optimized /
> meant for
> meshing with single interfaces. Because the plus operator in (1/LQ
> + 1/NLQ)
> it favors routes with less hops (theres a magic '2' in there ;-).
>
> Current EXT overcomes a small weakness in LQ-only measurements: If
> a certain
> amount of links in a path do not have packet loss, the second-level
> criteria
> (Hops) works well for route decisions. Moreover - there where talks
> about
> exchaning that plus with a multiplication operator (hence something
> like
> 1/LQ * 1/NLQ) or introducing some "voodoo factors" to have a
> seamless/tweakable transition between '+' and '*'. But I think that's
> another story...

By the way: Markus Kittenberger write a visualization where you can
see if different routes would have been chosen if you subsitute the +
with a * in the path kost calculation. If he was correct, there is
almost no change at all!

a.