[Olsr-dev] Seeking comments: OLSR+ETX v/s DSR+ETX

elektra (spam-protected)
Wed Dec 19 17:49:15 CET 2007

Hi -

> > So I still think it would be a valuable idea to measure RTT for different
> > packet sizes. And the payload of these packages should transport
> > something useful... For example the results of the last RTT-measurement
> > could be included.
>
> How do you want to do this for unicast packages ? I can see it working
> for broadcast
> (no retransmission on Layer 2), but broadcast and unicast timing are
> not the same.

as I understand the idea is to measure the actual throughput for unicast
traffic. With broadcasts you can't measure link speed - since broadcast are
transmitted at the same broadcast rate. You can - however - transmit with
different broadcast rates and see which neighbor will still respond to your
packets and measure the packet loss for different broadcast rates.

still I think that I have to justify what we did years ago: we thought the
approach should be as generic and as universally  applicable as possible.
counting lost broadcasts was just that.

elektra