[Olsr-dev] Patch Orgy Syncup

Hannes Gredler (spam-protected)
Thu Aug 23 21:54:17 CEST 2007

On Thu, Aug 23, 2007 at 09:08:25PM +0200, Juliusz Chroboczek wrote:

| > one of the things what we would like to do for olsr-ng is
| > to work on that problem too - rather than damping routes
| > we'd like to to setup a GRE tunnel to the node offering the 0/0
| > route.
|
| > now "stickyness" to a certain default gw is easy and does not
| > create routing loops.
|
| Yes, that should work.  Although my personal preference would be to
| use a protocol that is robust in the face of inconsistent information.

my point is that a well-designed link-state protocol is hard (modulo bugs)
to get de-synced ... the real problem scope is not so much the matter
of protocol choice but rather fixing the problem of
"my default gw does NAT" ... clearly the source-routing protocols have
an advantage here, however as mentioned before there is tunelling which
gives the ingress some control.

introducing an auto-tunneling infrastructure would also be beneficiary
for the phased approach of V6. (olsr speakers shall automatically create
V6 tunnels in order to connect islands) - i really dilike the prevailing
all-V6 or nothing approach ...

| That's getting off-topic for this list -- is there a better place to
| discuss it (in English)?

me thinks that there are all the olsr-ng developers on this list, which
makes it a perfect formum to discuss this sort of extensions ...

/hannes