[olsr-dev] basic questions

Sven-Ola Tuecke (spam-protected)
Mon Oct 9 11:16:14 CEST 2006

Hi,

OLSR needs basic IP functions up and running:

- Ping to neighbours must be successful.
- Basic IP routing must be present.
- UDP-Broadcasting must be supported

Ping uses ICMP. ICMP uses the IP layer. UDP broadcast uses the IP layer too.
The IP layer needs ARP. ARP requires the MAC-Layer (aka Ethernet) to be up
and running. UDP-Broadcast and ARP send to special Mac-Addr
ff:ff:ff:ff:ff:ff which must be supported. And a decent data transfer time
(so datagram services via pidgeon-transfer probably does not work). And no
Firewalling or Routers in between.

Exceptions: It is possible to use Pointopoint links (e.g. PPP) with special
config. PPP does not have ARP nor Broadcast, hence you need to set the
BCast-Addr to the Pointopoint-Neighbour-Adress. Have I mentioned, that this
is a special case?

P.S: You need a Von-Neumann-architecture on your computer to run OLSR AFAIK.

HTH Sven-Ola