[olsr-dev] Patch to make Makefile respect DESTDIR

Bernd Petrovitsch (spam-protected)
Wed Nov 8 09:43:47 CET 2006

On Wed, 2006-11-08 at 08:22 +0100, Roar Bjørgum Rotvik wrote:
> Bernd Petrovitsch wrote:
> > On Sat, 2006-10-28 at 23:43 +0200, Hanno Böck wrote:
> >> Hi,
> >>
> >> Attached patch does basically two things:
> >> - Change the INSTALL_PREFIX-var on all makefiles to DESTDIR (that's more
> >> standard, basically most Makefiles out there use DESTDIR)
> >> - Let the linux-gtk-frontend also respect the DESTDIR-var on make install.
> >>
> >> Would be nice if you could apply this.
> >
> > Since this probably affects mostly packagers: Opinions?
>
> I don't think it will be a problem for the RPM package, just a small change.

Yup.
But e.g. "rpm" changed one mandatory header field from "Copyright" to
"License" so everyother .src.rpm I try to `rpm --rebuild` needs ATM `rpm
-i; $EDITOR .spec; rpm -ba .spec` just to fix that.

> > Personally I don't care that much (as long as it doesn't change with the
> > phase of the moon).
> >
> > Another packager thing: Does it inyour opinion make sense to put
> > the .spec, /etc/init.d and similar files into the official CVS?
>
> I have always sendt both .rpm and src.rpm to Andreas when a new release arrived.

Yes, I know.
But for locally patched versions I occasionally also build an .rpm (with
some personal marker in the name) - especially it the patch in there
will probably stay longer.

> The src.rpm file also contains the .spec file.
> The olsrd init file (installed as /etc/init.d/olsrd) is embedded inside the .spec file for
> RPM at least.
>
> I see no problem adding the RPM spec file in CVS, actually I think it would be smart to do
> it like this. Everyone with access to CVS would have access to the package files and the
> package files would be under version control also.
>
> Someone need to decide on a package directory in the source tree where we can put these
> package files.
> Example: olsrd-current/packages/rpm, olsrd-current/packages/deb and so on?

Well, RedHat/FC doesn't have any special place for the .spec AFAIK.
Debian expects for it's packages a "debian" directory directly in the
top level (and depending on the package they have an awful lot of files
in there). So this doesn't seem to be avoidable. Consequently one (well,
at least /me) would make a "redhat" (or whatever name fits) directory in
parallel and put the .spec and /etc/init.d/olsrd script in there (and
other files which make sense only for RPM building).

	Bernd
          Embedded Linux Development and Services