[olsr-dev] Fwd: Frottle and Meshes

Dan Flett (spam-protected)
Fri Mar 3 12:15:01 CET 2006

Hi Tim and Jim,

We in Melbourne Wireless have been playing with Frottle in an attempt to
create a version more usable in Mesh situations.

A Frottle patch and OpenWRT IPKs here:
http://www.melbournewireless.org.au/files/frottle/

It doesn't completely do away with Master and Client just yet but it
introduces "control domains".  We are testing a multi-master, multi-client
version for use on nodes with more than one wireless interface.  I was
recently testing the code but various events have put the testing on hold
for now.  Please feel free to test the code and report bugs! :)

I've been reading papers on Token circulation - I read the Wireless token
ring protocol paper from berkeley
http://www.eecs.berkeley.edu/~ergen/docs/wtrpiscc.pdf

However I think this protocol is limited because it specifies a maximum size
for a ring - if the ring reaches it's maximum size no new nodes are
admitted.  The paper suggests that those nodes change to a different channel
which doesn't seem a workable solution.

Another good paper on Token circulation can be found here:

http://faculty.cs.tamu.edu/welch/papers/icnp01.pdf

It looks more at the logic behind efficient token-passing.

Using the knowledge obtained from these two papers I've come up with some
flowcharts that suggest possible code for a self-configuring,
distributed-token version of Frottle:

http://www.melbournewireless.org.au/wiki/?MWRPAdhocFrottleFlowcharts

It's been a little while since I put these flowcharts together, but they are
commented so if you follow them through it should make sense.

Cheers,

Dan

View my blog:
http://freenetjazz.blogspot.com