[olsr-dev] Re: [OLSR-users] Differing metrics for route decision

Sven-Ola Tuecke (spam-protected)
Tue Feb 28 12:34:36 CET 2006

A.,

yes - but we still need a couple of days experience to dig the implications.
This night my two testbed WRTs broke out and caused a major BSSID split
here. For whatever reason they adoped the TSF of 500.000 years for a couple
of hours. This morning they both went through the TSF overflow and now
situation is normal again (The mesh itself uses another BSSID currently):

(spam-protected):~# freifunk-setbssid -t eth1
00000002:7c4e6799 (0 years, 0 days, 02:57:55)
(spam-protected):~# wl rateset
rateset : [ 1(b) 2(b) 5.5(b) 6 9 11(b) 12 18 24 36 48 54 ]
(spam-protected):~# wl bssid
bssid is 02:CA:FF:EE:BA:BE

Some things to dig:

The rateset is normally taken from the oldest node. Because this is most of
the time a rotten B-mode-only PCMCIA we do not have g-mode in the mesh. To
my observation it is possible to have g- and b- mixed in the mesh, e.g.
talking g to one side and b to the other. Basic (b) rates in the rateset is
used for beacons (and bcasts?). "wl gmode=4" will have additional basic slow
rates with g-mode (e.g. the 6 mbit rate is G -> declared basic with
gmode=4). Should that be used everywhere? There is a multicast-rateset also
with Broadcom, don't know if this will influence the rate-selection for
broadcasts. olsrd broadcasts will need to send b-mode to address all
stations. I'am not too satisfied with the auto-rateset determined with
received beacons/packets (manual tweaks for a specific connection usually is
better) but the auto-adaption to current air condition should be preserved.
For this, I may need to tweak the selective-beacon-deafness currently used
for the fixed-BSSID hack. Have read that OFDM is superior to b-mode (with
equal speeds, e.g. 5b vs. 6g) in terms of reflections / polarization - so
should g-mode be preferred really for long-links?

LG Sven-Ola