[olsr-dev] Re: [OLSR-users] Differing metrics for route decision

Sven-Ola Tuecke (spam-protected)
Mon Feb 27 10:05:45 CET 2006

Thomas et al,

fiddeling with different ETX calculations will not have any reliable effect.
The current math operator ("+") is sufficent for the real situation. What's
more critical (as we all know): There is a fundamental measurement error,
since packet loss is calculated using broadcasts while data traffic/routes
are meant for unicast. Remember: Wifi drivers tend to send that stuff on
differing rates e.g. OLSR-broadcasts with the multicast rateset using 1Mbit
B-Mode and Data traffice with unicast rateset using 28 Mbit G-Mode.

While I'am at it: Have a little patch for that ETX calculation which seems
to run well. Only meaningful when you use Windowsize > HelloInt * HalloVal
as with Freifunk/Berlin Mesh: WinSize is 100, Hello is 5 sek, HelloVal is 90
sek. Patch is located here:

http://olsrexperiment.de/sven-ola/nylon/olsrd-bb-files-for-nylon/files/olsrd-fixes.patch

(Ah - that will also change the Fish-Table. Changed table is prepared for
the forced fish since no ttl=0xff is used any more. Makes it possible to put
TTL=0xff into /dev/null one day. For the IPv6-Size-Change I'am not too
sure...)

LG Sven-Ola