[olsr-dev] LQ-FishEye + LinkQualityDjikstraLimit

elektra (spam-protected)
Fri Dec 8 19:18:16 CET 2006

Hello -

I think it should be better communicated on the web page that olsrd only
works reasonable if ETX/LQ *and*  LinkQualityFishEye is used. Without
the LinkQualityFishEye-Mechanism and redundant TC-messages (they should
be more frequent than Hello messages, I'd say two or three times)  olsrd
creates nice routing tables as long as there is no payload. As soon as
payload is introduced routes flap and routing loops occur. So it is no
longer true that LinkQualityFishEye-Mechanism is a experimental feature
- it was that important missing improvement that made olsr finally
functional for the Freifunk networks. Since LinkQualityFishEye it is no
problem anymore to perform a FTP download over a route of 8 hops here in
Berlin...

I think the configuration-file with ETX/LQ *and*  LinkQualityFishEye in
/files/ should become the default when performing a make install.
LinkQualityFishEye is compatible with olsr-nodes that don't use the
algorithm - but I would recommend to update all nodes in your
mesh-networks as soon as possible to have the mesh work nicely. See the
Readme about FishEye. When I was in Dharamsala/India it became obvious
that the AirJaldi mesh suffered Routing Loops because they didn't know
how to configure olsrd for stable and reliable routes. They were using
it with LQ/ETX and  a sliding window size that was too small and didn't
know about LinkQualityFishEye.

LinkQualityDjikstraLimit is important in large mesh-networks like Berlin
on embedded systems - otherwise the CPUs will overheat. But the
implementation in 0.4.10 is still buggy, I think.

I'd suggest is high time to release a new 'stable' release of olsrd -
there are too many important bugs in 0.4.10 which have been fixed in
CVS. Last important one was the limitation of 32 hops max. that causes
olsrd to crash.

I wrote a short text called 'The olsr-story' for www.open-mesh.net -
Thomas Lopatic read it and we both think it would be a interesting read
for people interested in the background of the development at Freifunk.
It will give people a good insight about our experiences and thoughts
about olsr.

Some people subscribed to the olsr-mailinglists may also be interested
in the development of the B.A.T.M.A.N routing-daemon that we started
after olsr-0.4.10.

B.A.T.M.A.N-III-0.1 binaries and sources will be available from December
13th at www.open-mesh.net. Let's see how it performs in real life :)

I'm still using olsrd-0.5 pre every day - but I'm looking forward to the
experiences with B.A.T.M.A.N. Gateway switching is a constant annoyance
in olsrd when using stateful protocols like IM, VOIP etc.

cu elektra