[olsr-dev] Improvements in the algorithm

onelektra (spam-protected)
Wed Nov 16 18:21:06 CET 2005

hi -

>   say you(node A) can reach a node(C) through 2 other nodes(B and D), but
>   link quality differs, sometimes B is better, sometimes D. at what point
>   will this inflict a route change? as soon as one gets only slight
>   better then the other? or is there a threshold? currently switching
>   routes seems like a bad idea to me(takes up cpu and network traffic?)

yes, according to Thomas there is a threshold implemented (personally I
call it hysteresis).

> another issue I think would be the big routing tables for big
> networks(one route per host) seems atleast to take up memory and
> increase network traffic(when you tell who you can reach)

I see olsrd as a solution for a wireless ad-hoc subnet of up to 100 -
300 nodes. I expect olsrd to handle this quite well in the not so far
future. It works quite nice already, but with the stability issues under
link saturation that I described in my post from yesterday.

This is what I expect olsrd to achieve. In order to build a network that
goes beyond that one should have a look at the way the internet already
works. To me there is no point in reinventing RIP, BGP, OSPF. If a
community wants to have a WAN that interconnects more than a few
hundered nodes they should have a look at the known art :-)

If one wants to develop a protocol that is able to route 16.7 million
nodes within one subnet - carry on ;-)

cu elektra