[olsr-dev] root permission

Andreas Tønnesen (spam-protected)
Thu Jul 7 08:13:58 CEST 2005

As explained in my second mail there are multiple reasons why
olsrd needs root privilegies, the priveliged port only beeing
one of them. So bypassing this will not help unless you also
allow non-root priveleged users access to the other parts that
olsrd works on. I would not recomend this. AFAIK it is perfectly
normal that routing daemons run as root.

- Andreas

Abhishek Misra wrote:
> hello ,
>
> According to
>
> http://www.bsi.de/english/gshb/manual/s/s05039.html
>
> The ports with numbers < 1024 are also known as privileged ports, because
> they may only be used by processes with root privileges. However, the
> restriction that ports < 1024 may only be used by processes with root
> privileges, is only a convention and it may be circumvented .
>
> Though i do not know if , any thing special is required for this . Please
> throw some more light on this .
>
> Abhishek
>

> On Wed, Jul 6, 2005, Andreas T?en <(spam-protected)> said:
>

>>Because it binds to UDP/698 which is a "privileged"(<1024) port.
>>
>>- Andreas
>>

>>>Hello
>>>

>>>why is it necessary to run olsr with root premission  ?
>>>
>>>Abhishek Misra

>>---------
>>Andreas T?en
>>http://www.olsr.org