[Olsr-users] Flooding custom data in OLSRv2 networks

Henning Rogge (spam-protected)
Tue Jul 5 07:59:33 CEST 2016

On Tue, Jul 5, 2016 at 12:10 AM, Martin Garbe
<(spam-protected)> wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> we need a plugin similar to the OLSRv1 nameservice plugin for
> OLSRv2/OONF, i.e. we want to flood key/value pairs (e.g. hostname :=
> address) efficiently through our MANET.

You need a service that distributes your DNS data.

Flooding it every X seconds would never be an efficient solution.

> Since we could not find an existing plugin which provides said
> functionality, we think about writing it ourselves.
>
> Which way would you recommend for that? Writing a custom OONF plugin
> that runs in parallel to OLSRv2 or extending OLSRv2 for that?

I would suggest looking into HNCP (HomeNet Configuration Protocol).
The current iteration is not well adapted for mobile networks, but the
rest of the protocol is sound.

> We're unsure how to implement an efficient flooding without duplicating
> OLSRv2 functionality (MPR selection) either by re-implementing it or by
> copying it.

Like I said, flooding (with or without MPR) is not an efficient
solution for distributing data that normally does NEVER change.

Henning Rogge