[Olsr-users] Network address associated with fingerprint of the node's public key?

Markus Kittenberger (spam-protected)
Tue Feb 28 20:09:35 CET 2012

On Tue, Feb 28, 2012 at 7:59 PM, Wojciech Zabolotny <(spam-protected)>wrote:

> In the simplest version, the IP could be just the appropriate number
> of bytes from
> the fingerprint of the key. So the asymmetric key is generated first, then
> the
> fingerprint is calculted and IP is obtained from it. Of course in this
> case the IP
> is somehow randow, however in my experiments (up to ca. 20 node) the olsr
> protocol could handle fully random IP addresses (well, I don't know how it
> would
> scale up for a network consisting of e.g. 200 nodes covering a small town.)

olsrd simply does not care if u use random ip adresses or not,..
they just have to be unique!

memory consumption/speed/protocol overhead is not affected by random or not
adresses (as olsrd has no address or route "compressions", but might get in
future)

and 200 nodes is no size to worry about,..
(even on the "smallest" router hardware)

Markus