[Olsr-users] trouble with NAT and smart gateway

Henning Rogge (spam-protected)
Sat Feb 11 09:37:10 CET 2012

The switch "smartgateway on/off" should have nothing to do with a node
publishing HNAs. In fact, smartgateway just reads the incoming HNAs
and modify outgoing 0.0.0.0/0 HNAs, it doesn't create one on its own.

I am not sure what you mean with "smart_gw" plugin... the
Smart-Gateway code is part of the core, it is not in a plugin at all.
Can you maybe post your olsrd.conf file so we can see how you
configured your mesh?

Henning Rogge

On Fri, Feb 10, 2012 at 23:08, Arjun <(spam-protected)> wrote:
> Hi Markus,
> Thanks for your reply. I did try setting only the HNA4 values in the
> olsrd.conf file on my gateway node. However, it did not result in any HNA
> messages being sent out as part of the OLSR packets. I verified this by
> peering into the OLSR packet through wireshark. Using the smart_gw plugin
> resulted in the HNA messages showing up inside the OLSR packets.
> I have to use the NAT iptables rule on Node C, because Node D (192.168.1.1)
> can only talk to 192.168.1.2, which is IF2 on Node C. So packets originating
> from the OLSR mesh must have their source ips masqueraded to 192.168.1.2.
> Now that I think of it, maybe I can nose around inside the linux box on Node
> D (which is actually a commercial toy) and see if I can open it up to
> connect to ip addresses other than 192.168.1.2.
> I think the problems I have are most likely due to mobility, because the toy
> moves reasonably fast, and leaky UDP streams. I will shorten the Hello/TC
> intervals and see if that helps. Do let me know if any other suggestion
> comes to mind.
> Thanks again!
> Arjun.
>

> On Fri, Feb 10, 2012 at 2:46 PM, Markus Kittenberger
> <(spam-protected)> wrote:
>>
>> afair smart-gateway does not do anything useful for your setup,.
>> as its only for hna announcements of 0.0.0.0/0 (and useful only if u have
>> multiple nodes announcing this)
>>
>> anyways to simplify things, do not use smartgateway, hna alone is enough!
>>
>> and if possible (to simplify more) also remove the NAT in your testcase,
>> use a static route on your target towards the mesh inestead,..
>>
>> or just try (and verify the amount of packetloss of) an udp stream to node
>> C, and not the node behind C,.. (so you can leave away the hna too)
>>
>> if this simplified setup works, you have issues with nat/hna,..
>> if not, you have problems with mobility (which usually can causes "some"
>> packetloss, and maybe just too much for your udp stream)
>>
>> On Fri, Feb 10, 2012 at 7:07 PM, Arjun <(spam-protected)> wrote:
>>>
>>> However, when I move node B out of range from the gw, i.e. node C, so
>>> that it is 2 hops away, which I confirmed from debug output from the txtinfo
>>> plugin, it is not able maintain connectivity (tcp and udp streams) with node
>>
>> and is it able to maintain conenctivtiy with C?
>> or atleast with A?
>>>
>>> and my application on node B breaks down. Are there any settings I am
>>> forgetting,
>>
>> if (and only if) u are moving out of range fast, u might need shorter
>> hello/tc intervals,..
>>>
>>> or is it that UDP data over OLSR is not a good idea.
>>
>> as long as u do not expect no packetloss, udp works fine,..
>>

>> Markus

"Wo kämen wir hin, wenn alle sagten, wo kämem wir hin, und niemand
ginge, um einmal zu schauen, wohin man käme, wenn man ginge." (Kurt
Marti)