[Olsr-users] G1 / Linksys WRT demo

marc fawzi (spam-protected)
Thu Jan 14 22:33:16 CET 2010

Hi all,

I'd like to setup a proof of concept for OLSR running on a couple Android G1
nodes and a Linksys WRT54G router.

I found this 1 year old news on OLSR.org:

olsrd ported to the google phone (android, G1)!
http://www.olsr.org/?q=node/30

And also this (which we can use to build the LAN node... the phone(s) will
only have the air interface running):

Freifunk Firmware (English language
page)<http://freifunk.net/wiki/FreifunkFirmwareEnglish> -
a firmware based on OpenWRT that uses OLSR, designed to build mesh networks
out of wireless access points, e.g. LinksysWRT54G

My question is whether the above is sufficient to show a proof of concept
such that I can make a Skype phone call from one of the Android G1 phones
which will be outside the range of the Linksys WRT54G but within range of
another Android G1 phone which will in turn be within the range of the
Linksys WRT54G

Can I actually demo such a phone call taking place?

I was thinking of going to the T-Mobile store to pick up a couple G1 phones
and also order the Linksys WRT54G or buy it off ebay

But I don't want to spend the money unless I can demo a Skype phone call
taking place over the OLSR network

Is it possible to do?

If it is, I would like to promote the project to people here in Seattle and
setup an angel fund to enable its further development

Please advise me

Thank you

Marc