[Olsr-users] P2P chat

Henning Rogge (spam-protected)
Wed Dec 1 08:18:40 CET 2010

On Wed December 1 2010 00:35:42 Juliusz Chroboczek wrote:
> > would encapsulate chat messages into an olsrd-broadcast
>
> I fully understand.  I'm just claiming that hijacking an internal
> network-layer mechanism in your application-layer protocol is the second
> worst design I've seen on this list yet.
>
> > it's more meant to allow admins (or some olsrd nodes itself) to push
> > serious status messages into the mesh,..
>
> Use HTTP?  SMTP?  Remote syslog?  RSS?  Atom?  NNTP?  motd?  finger?  Or
> design your own application-layer protocol that doesn't incestuously
> hook into internals of the routing protocol?
The idea about our "debug chat plugin" was that you can somehow reach the
other admins of the local nodes in case of a mayor routing problem. Maybe just
a simple telnet command to send chat messages to all other nodes with active
plugin.

A chat system for normal usage should not use/need this mechanism.

Henning Rogge
--
Diplom-Informatiker Henning Rogge , Fraunhofer-Institut für
Kommunikation, Informationsverarbeitung und Ergonomie FKIE