[Olsr-users] olsrd fisheye settings

L. Aaron Kaplan (spam-protected)
Sat Jan 17 01:18:43 CET 2009

On Jan 17, 2009, at 12:58 AM, Derek C wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> I'm running a very basic test network and really just using the
> olsrd.conf
> defaults (i.e. not much in there at all).
>
> Having said that it is working absolutely fine.
>
> I would like to be able to develop a scalable system that could
> support a
> great deal of nodes.
>
> I know there is the memory size limit on the size of the routing
> table and
> also there is the traffic generated when the olsrd nodes need to keep
> their routing table updated.

actually no - the memory size of the routing table is really not that
bad.
Please check yourself: how much is a routing table entry in bytes?
how many entries do you expect?

I guess you will stay below 100KBytes for a long time :))

The amount of generated traffic can for sure be optimized. But you can
also tune the HelloIntervall and TCIntervall parameters.
That way you can reduce the amount of OLSR "signaling overhead".
Basically that is a balance between fast convergence and less overhead.

> Does the olsrd fisheye settings help with scaling to a large network?
yes in theory since it will not flood the network as badly.

> Does it help in reducing the overall network (route announcement)
> traffic
> and does it not help with the issue of the routing table size?.
routing table size is not a problem in my opinion. See above.

a.