[Olsr-users] Mobile robotics

Kim Hawtin (spam-protected)
Fri Oct 3 03:35:34 CEST 2008

Henning Rogge wrote:
> Am Donnerstag 02 Oktober 2008 12:07:12 schrieb Nelson Gonçalves:
>> I just want to use olsrd routing capabilities to do inter-process
>> communication (IPC) , where processes can be running in different
>> computers and the computers can use different mediums. I already have a
>> working solution for IPC when processes (identified through a unique
>> key) are in the same computer. The idea is to use olsrd to route
>> messages when the process ID is not found locally. I would assign to
>> each olsrd also a unique key and must write a plugin that whould work
>> only on my message type.
> To do this Olsrd have to know where each process located at the moment.
>
> Hmm... if you give every process an ip address you could directly talk with
> UDP/TCP between processes.

I have done something very similar to this, binding a process to a loopback interface/IP
and using the anycast IP method with OSPF and OLSR to export that route to that interface.

Its how I currently have multiple DNS servers to offer redundancy on my network, where the
client queries the 'local' DNS server. Local often means closest by hop count or by
bandwidth.

I also have other services that I run only on loopback interfaces, primarily so those
services and IPs can be moved to another physical server and the whole config remains
unchanged.

regards,

Kim
--
Operating Systems, Services and Operations
(spam-protected)