[Olsr-users] Rate limiting in olsr networks

Juliusz Chroboczek (spam-protected)
Thu Jul 3 20:05:19 CEST 2008

> So IMHO the rate limiting must follow somehow (any ideas out there?)
> the actual netto transmittable rate.

What I'm doing is simply to rate-limit the Internet gateways, and
enforce per-source fairness on them.  The most economic way to do that
is sbf (which I mentioned in a previous message), but if you have
a lot of memory and CPU, then other techniques exist, such as sfq and
of course naïve fair queueing.

The point is that fairness is not a goal in itself.  The actual goal
is to provide a satisfactory quality of service to all of your users,
and assuming your network is not too badly congested, this can be done
with just doing some moderate rate limiting at crucial points in the
network, and only enforcing weak forms of fairness there.

Our network is not usually congested, though, so I have little actual
operational experience with that.  Aaron, we definitely need to have
another couple beers together.

                                        Juliusz