[Olsr-users] OLSR Gateway & HNA Question

Henning Rogge (spam-protected)
Tue Dec 16 19:45:58 CET 2008

On Tuesday 16 December 2008 19:27:17 Bhat, Ishwara wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I am continuing an old thread and I have another question in that context.
>
> My scenario is as below:
>
> I have a PC with ad-hoc link (but no OLSR, no second NIC). And I have nodes
> running OLSR within single-hop distance from this ad-hoc PC.
>
> All are in the same SSID and same subnet.
>
> So PC to send packet to  any OLSR node, probably it is easy.
>
> But the question is -
>
> How to ensure route for the backward path for the non-OLSR PC in the same
> subnet (or a different subnet?)??
>

> I understand that HNA can be setup if I had a gateway node in between PC
> and the mesh. But my case is that I have an IP address belonging to the
> same subnet but without OLSR.
>
> For the OLSR node within 1-hop distance from PC, will I be able to force a
> TC announcing that it can route to the PC ?
>
> Please tell me how to do it.
The easiest way would be to activate NAT on your OLSR node... this way the
OLSR net does not know about your second node. Most Freifunk/Funkfeuer nodes
do this in the router.

Theoretically you could set a default route from your non-OLSR node to the
OLSR node and a HNA entry for the non-OLSR node on the OLSR node. But you
would need a second valid IP for the OLSR net.

Better use NAT.