[OLSR-users] Re: Networking help on Metrix Mesh

Benjamin Henrion (spam-protected)
Wed Nov 15 17:07:49 CET 2006

On 11/15/06, James Wilson <(spam-protected)> wrote:
> Hey Ben,
>
> I was wondering what kind of bandwidth you're getting with the dual
> radio (per router) configuration ?  I've implemented a small 5 node mesh

If you use 802.11a with dual radios per node, you can expect 25 MBPS
if all the radios are at the maximum bitrate.

I am thinking about this idea:

2 atheros cards per node with card1 = TX power at the max + RX
sensitivity at the minimum and card2 = TX power at the min + Rx
sensitivity at the max

Tighted together with bonding0, with OLSR listening on Bond0.

Having this setup would split which card transmits on a fixed channel,
and which card receives on another fixed channel.

> each with single radios, forcing traffic to go through multiple nodes,
> the throughput is horrible !   I get 6 or 7 mbps going through 1 hop,
> anything more it drops to 300kbps   :(  How much better does a dual
> radio setup function  ?

Most academic papers says that you can achieve better perfs without
reusing the same channel.

The problem is how to adapt OLSR to this (maybe there is a way to do
it a lower OSI level).

If someone has the hardware to make a test (2 atheros card per node),
that would be useful to know how OLSR behaves.

--
Benjamin Henrion <bhenrion at ffii.org>
FFII Brussels - +32-484-566109 - +32-2-4148403